Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jingle Bells and a PR

Sadly, the only full body picture of my outfit   
On Sunday Dad, Jason, and I arose before the sun and prepared for a very, very cold run. We would be running with chilled noses, fancy Christmas socks, and in honor of those who can't - those who suffer from debilitating arthritis. The Jingle Bell 5k Run/Walk for Arthritis was awaiting us and we were going to own it.



The course was a simple out-and-back 5K on Naito. We started by the World Trade Center. I had the pleasure of running into a girl I went to church and high school with. She was admiring my awesome socks when I turned around and said, "Lindy! Hi!" Always a fun way to kick start a day that started way too early.


At the World Trade Center ready to warm up


When the call came to start lining up, my girl friend lined up right on the start line. I lost the boys (all four of them) in the sea of faster-than-me runners. (Dad said, "I'd like to run with you, but I can't run that slow for that long." Thanks, Dad.) I found my post behind the "10+ minute" pace sign. In retrospect I should have lined up in front of the sign as I was trapped in a sea of strollers and dogs for a quarter mile and couldn't quite get around people. This may be the only race I've ever passed more than one person. (Somehow I missed posting about Highway to Well in October. That was a big deal - I got a ribbon and everything!)

Dad said, "You can't even see my sign from there!"

The highlight of being slower than everyone else is they were turning back before I was halfway through. So, I got to yell, "Go Christy!" and "Way to go J. Hall!" and "Daddy!" and "Bentley! Aaron!" when I spotted them coming back up the road. Basically, my two favorite things: seeing people I love and cheering on runners.

I'm proud to report that despite some remaining ankle nagging, this was my best race of all time. I didn't break my goal of sub-35, but I was close.
35:54.5 - don't judge ;-)

Most importantly, I actually had fun in this race and felt good for the duration - even that awful short hill on the way back. Sadly, there are no pictures of me coming down to the finish line - despite much jumping up and yelling, "Daddy!" as I ran along - as the people that did see me were on the wrong side of the road.

Was a fun event to do with some of my wonderful people and I'm getting really excited for the Shamrock Run in March. (Drove the 15K course, Dad is in for a good time... or not. We're doing the 8K.)
Dad the Elf, running buddies Aaron & Torie, Nike, Jason and J. Hall post-race

4 comments:

Aki Mori said...

love the photos! so much joy!

chris mcpeake said...

Congrats on a great race

Alanna @ Blood, Sweat & Cupcakes said...

Awesome race outfit! Love it!

The Green Girl said...

Aw, I'm glad you at least managed to get one shot of your outfit!