My birthday was two days ago. Here is an untimely post that is a testament to how scattered I have been the last few weeks...
In the last year I caught a glimpse of the life a pastor's wife leads and did my best to be supportive. I also learned the importance of having supportive laymen in a church. Laymen make all the difference between the success or failure of a ministry. I am more determined than ever to be a supportive layperson - after taking some time to recoup.
In the last year I welcomed my brother home, only to see him ship off to the Middle East a short time later. I have learned how to say, "I love you" in a multitude of ways cause sometimes the words aren't said before the satellite phone cuts out.
In the last year I made some wonderful new friends and learned to manage life changes. I've had some adventures and learned that growing up is pretty difficult, but each new step is totally worth it.
A year ago I decided to return to school after an 18 month hiatus. In a week and three days I will walk in PSU's commencement ceremony and symbolically receive my Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies. (Symbolically because we don't actually receive our diplomas at commencement. Lame.) It's been a six year process, but after a lot of sweat and tears I'm nearly finished.
In my 24th year, I want to live with purpose. Up to this point my life has revolved around school, work, and trying to figure out all my new roles in life. I want my life to be about serving others and not so much about what I want and need. Below is my list, tune in next year to see where I have gone....
Nike's 24 Year Old Goals:
- Apply to volunteer at the Portland VA.
- Seriously make time to practice and study Spanish.
- Sign up for a monthly volunteer project through Hands on Greater Portland.
- Be a team leader for one Hands On project by June 1, 2010.
- Send a card to someone I have lost contact with weekly.
- Sew three skirts using the "Sew What Skirts" book.
- Blog three times a week for three months, incrementally increase to daily by June 1, 2010.
- Start running again.
- Apply to a Graduate School of Social Work
- Learn each of my neighbors' names.