Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Brain is 85% Water

The coffee drive-through we frequent is having a Summer Trivia game. Every morning they post a new question on the window and if answered correctly you receive a stamp towards a free coffee. I think the questions get harder as the week goes on, as it should be, but no one has confirmed this.

On Monday we received a stamp for Hawaii being the last state admitted to the union. (Alaska and Hawaii were admitted the same year, but Hawaii was last.) Tuesday we said the ostrich was the world's largest bird because we couldn't think of anything bigger - another win. Wednesday we skipped the coffee stop.

Last night I was telling the boy I'm fairly certain college made me stupid.  I don't remember what we were talking about, but I said, "I used to know stuff like that and be able to have a lengthy discussion about it... now I'm thousands of dollars in debt and can't. I think college might have made me stupid." I'm a little distressed by this revelation. 

Which brings us to today. The question was a True/False and the statement was, "The human brain is 85% water." It sounded plausible, but also very, very wrong. I let the boy take the lead with "False." False it is not.  Kinda like clouds not being made up of mostly carbon dioxide (last week's incorrectly answered true/false question). 

Maybe college didn't make me stupid, it just made me second guess myself to the point I can't answer a true/false question correctly. Only time will tell I suppose. For now, I'm going to start reading random trivia books in an effort to boost my skills. ;-) 

2 comments:

Aki Mori said...

Your comment about second guessing, made me think of the Princess Bride. Do you remember the "battle of wits" scene between the Man in Black and Vizzini? Here's just one part of it, to jog your memory:

Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Nike Athena said...

LOL! Best movie of all times. I was definitely feeling like Vizzini this morning. ;-)