Sunday, November 2, 2008

Day1: Gonna get my butt kicked by Jillian Michaels


After hitting a point of being completely disgusted with my weight, I went to Target after work and bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It was recommended by my awesome friend, Leslie, who has been sticking to her healthy-living goal for a little over a year and has been a great source of inspiration for me.

I was a little skeptical at first because exercise DVDs and I have a history of incompatibility. So I read the reviews on Amazon and was totally inspired by a lady in her mid-30s who had been overweight her entire life and has some health problems, but is completely committed to this workout plan and has been sticking with it. I decided if she could do it and not want to kill Jillian, I could do.

Yesterday morning I woke up, threw on some workout clothes, opened the case of weights I've had for a year and had never opened, said goodbye to friends on Facebook just in case, and popped in the DVD.

Let me tell you, that was the LONGEST twenty-minutes of my life. I felt like I had run six miles, but it took me only a quarter of the time. Jillian appeared to be reading my mind, because every time I thought about slowing down or all out quitting, she would say something like, "I have 400 lb people doing jumping jacks, you can too!" or "Four, three, two...." and kept me motivated.

Did I want to punch her in the face at the end of the work out? No. Did I hurt? Oh yeah. But you know what? She said something that really struck me. Her two assistants have amazing abs and she said, "If you want abs like this, you have to fight for them." I think I'm finally ready to fight to be the person I want to be.

1 comment:

Carly said...

good job!!! keep it up! i found a really helpful community online, it's 3fatchicks.com and their message boards are awesome, and they have a really great board devoted to 30DS in the "20-somethings" section. Just FYI! It's so nice to have a support group even if they are online!